Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Jazz Cerkno 2012 - the opening evening


 As implied by the two previous posts, I've been at Cerkno Jazz festival during the past couple of days. The main reason was Žiga Koritnik's concert photography workshop which I had been really looking forward to since Žiga is one of my favourite photographers. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of jazz music prior to visiting the festival (that has changed in the meantime), possibility of working with Žiga was something I didn't want to miss. 
Anyway, this and the following posts will try to give an account of how it was at the festival - but I'm not planning to make a complete and accurate retrospective of it, more a collection of photographs which I like the most. 

The opening evening of the festival gave us performances of Vanilla Riot, Royal Improvisers Orchestra and solo performance of German guitar legend Uwe Kropinski. Vanilla Riots had terrible lightning, completely useless for any decent shots, so I rather focused on listening; the Improvisers Orchestra were fine, but Kropinski kind of blew me away - that's also when I made some of my better shots - that's completely in accordance with what Žiga says - that loving and knowing the music is crucial for good concert photographs.

J.Dikeman of Royal Improvisers Orchestra at 2012 Jazz Cerkno Festival
Uwe Kropinski's solo performance at 2012 Jazz Cerkno festival
This year's incarnation of the event was already sevententh in a row. "Mednarodni" means international in Slovene - indeed, it always gathers quite an international line-up of performers

No comments: